Apple slice recipe
My mom has made these family favorites since I was a child. They are loved by all of my siblings, my parents, my grandparents, and my grandchildren. This family favorite is a must-have.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup water
- Two eggs
- One tablespoon lemon juice
- 6 Apples – Peeled, Cored, and Cut into 1/2-inch Thick Slices. Or more for a better taste
- 1 cup white sugar
- Three tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175° C).
- In a large bowl, whisk together 2 cups flour with salt. Use a pastry blender to cut shortening into the flour mixture.
- Mix water, eggs, lemon juice, and salt separately. Add flour to the bowl. Knead until the mixture forms a ball. Divide the dough into two equal parts and roll each into a rectangle measuring 9×13 inches. Place one rectangle in the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Add the apple slices to a large bowl. Spread the crust over the apples. To cover the apple filling, add the remaining crust. You can use any leftovers to make a seam. To allow air to circulate during cooking, cut several slits in the top crust.
- Bake for 45 minutes to an hour in the oven until the edges are crisp and browned. Allow cooling to room temperature before cutting into pieces, approximately 30 minutes.