Creme caramel recipe
These individual creme caramel desserts are a classic. We promise everyone will be begging for this sweet and creamy dessert for seconds.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar divided
- 3 cups whole milk
- Two large eggs plus three large egg yolks
- 1/8 teaspoon fine salt
- Two teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Eight 4-ounce ramekins should be placed in a large roasting skillet. In a small saucepan, add four tablespoons of water. Stir in 1 cup of sugar. Cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the caramel turns amber, about 6-8 minutes. Divide caramel among ramekins quickly. Stir ramekins to coat the bottoms evenly.
- Heat milk in a saucepan on medium heat until it is hot but not boiling. Mix the eggs, yolks, salt, and 1/2 cup sugar in a medium bowl. As you continue to whisk, add some milk to the egg mixture. Add the remaining milk one at a time. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve and into a large measuring cup. Stir in vanilla. Divide the custard equally among the ramekins.
- Place the roasting pan in the oven. Boil enough water to cover the sides of the ramekins. Bake for 35 minutes or until the custards have set.
- Remove ramekins from boiling water using tongs. Let cool slightly. Keep covered in ramekins and let chill in the refrigerator for at least three hours or up to three days. Run a knife through the ramekins to loosen them.